Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Stand-Up Guy.

These days, commandment-breaking college football coaches are about as common as houseflies. But there’s one guy who elicits feelings of lifetime loyalty that the Hell’s Angels would envy.

Randy Edsall spent the last few years turning the nothing program at UConn into a perennial winner, essentially building it from sand. And recently, when my alma mater, the University of Maryland, named him their new head football coach, I was beside myself.

Randy was a quarterback for Syracuse during his playing days, alongside my friend Chas. Chas unfortunately passed away a few years ago, and I still think about him constantly. My blog entry about him is one of my favorite ones I’ve ever written.

I emailed it to Randy Edsall yesterday, and he instantly replied with this:

Matt,

I didn't know that Chas had passed, and he was a great guy and better person. The piece you did on Chas was very nice and heart-warming.

I'm glad to be here at Maryland and look forward to getting started on the field really soon. Get your friends to come to the games, as we will get after people.

Randy


That’s first class, Coach. Thank you.