Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I Know Smart People. I Swear.

I thought I suffered from ADD, but then I realized my friends’ stories just suck.

Actually, check that – not all my friends. Rob Weintraub is a guy I grew up with in New York, and he’s the living embodiment of the Most Interesting Man Alive.

Rob is a writer/producer, focusing mainly on sports. He’s lived long stretches in Australia and Hong Kong, visited every inch of Asia and once went diving in a shark cage. (Sharks are to Rob what monkeys are to me.) He’s the kind of guy who will be eating in a restaurant in some remote town when it suddenly gets held up at gunpoint. I’ve mentioned him before, and his hilarious take on the ESPN show “Fish On.” I’d kill for his writing skills.

And now, you can enjoy Rob in long form, as he’s written a book called The House That Ruth Built, chronicling the first championship of his and my beloved Yankees. Even if you’re not a baseball fan or a Yankee fan (de-friend me if you aren’t), you’ll love the book’s fascinating portrayal of New York in the 20s.

The book debuts April 4th, but you can pre-order it on Amazon or Barnes & Noble. Just after you put down the Us Weekly, or Juggs, or whatever the hell you’ve been perusing that has made me too ashamed to reply to your texts.