Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My Ten Favorite Movies Of 2010.

The Oscars should have an occasional category for best previously non-nominated performance. Among the first nominees would be Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in Tombstone. Until they do, I won’t shave, bathe or floss.

The 2011 nominees were announced yesterday, including the ten for best picture, and as is customary, I like to list my own ten best, in order:

1) The Town. I was going to say it’s always interesting to root for bad guys, but then I realized no one likes shitbag cops in real life, either. (By the way, put this film, and Ben Affleck’s direction, right below Val Kilmer on the non-nominated list.)

2) The Social Network. No surprise Mark Zuckerberg created Facebook – he was less comfortable with women than an IKEA futon.

3) Rabbit Hole. Brilliant and sad. I haven’t cried like that since the Yankees got knocked out of the playoffs.

4) Solitary Man. Michael Douglas sleeps with young women all over NYC. And he does it in this movie, too.

5) Exit Through the Gift Shop. This documentary about graffiti artists made me feel guilty that the only paintbrush I own is the one in a bottle of Wite-Out.

6) The King’s Speech. My friend Erica is convinced the King and Lionel Logue were gay lovers. But really, aren’t all British dudes gay?

7) Hot Tub Time Machine. Best comedy of the year. And that ain’t the Bartles & Jaymes talking.

8) The Other Guys. Great comedy that I would have ranked higher if Derek Jeter didn’t get shot in it.

9) Iron Man 2. Best sequel since pizza-flavored Combos.

10) Machete. Mexicans really do know how to wield their cutlery – just check the kitchen of any Chinese restaurant in LA.