Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mr. Mayor With The Assist.

I saw the other day that for a big bag of money, you can hire Andre Agassi as a motivational speaker. And then I wondered: what was the low point for Andre – when he was doing crystal meth, or when he was doing Barbara Streissand?

Luckily, I’ve got all the motivation I need, after a giant step in my bid for world domination: I’m on avail (one of the final two choices) for the very first commercial audition I went on in 2011.

Cut to the semi-not-as-great news – it’s been several days since, and it doesn’t look like I got the role. But as I always say, in the minds of the casting director and my agent, this is as good as booking, as they know the director and client love my work, etc., etc., etc.

I’ll settle for being stranded at third after leading off with a triple. And I wouldn’t have gotten there without help from my hero, Cory Booker.

I’ll explain with a story. A friend of mine once met Richard Hatch (the actor from the original “Battlestar Gallatica,” not the douchey reality-show guy) and asked him what he would have done differently with his career. “I would have always gone to the beach before auditions,” Richard replied. He knew that if he walked into a casting room in a great mood, after visiting his favorite place, he’d book.

The day I auditioned for the commercial, I woke up to the message Cory Booker sent me, and I knew right then that I was going to go to that audition and crush it.

Thank you, sir, for helping me establish a beachhead in my assault – on Hollywood, on the U.S., on the world.