Friday, October 8, 2010

The Second-Best Movie Of The Year.

Ever buy a DVD of a film you haven’t seen but thought you’d like? Then you watch it and it’s terrible and you’re stuck with it? You heard me, The Final Destination (AKA, my new coaster.)

Learn from my blunder, and instead go see a surefire Oscar nominee: The Social Network. (The Town is still my favorite this year, but The Social Network is a close second.)

The dream team got together to create this gem: Aaron Sorkin, my favorite writer, and David Fincher, one of my favorite directors. The dialogue is so speedy and sharp that watching this film is like stepping on a moving train. The usual math for a screenplay is a page a minute – so a two-hour film’s script is about 120 pages. The Social Network is two hours long and 162 pages. At one point, I looked to my left, and three of my friends were leaning forward, focusing and trying not to miss a word.

If you see it this weekend, it’ll stay #1 at the box office. Then Hollywood will take note and make more films like it. Then you’ll see those kickass films, and Hollywood will make even more. The circle of life complete.