Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Missed, By That Much.

Everything before the “but” is bullshit.

"Great audition, Matt. Glad you could come back for us and nail it again in front of the decision makers… but… we’re gonna go another way."

In the last two weeks, I’ve become the king of callbacks. After I just missed out on being chosen as the face of John Deere, I was called back to the producers of the TV show “Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior,” and didn’t book it. Then I got a callback and was put on avail (on hold as a final choice) for a commercial for OU Medical Center. Didn’t get that, either.

One of my acting teachers used to say that getting a callback is as good as booking, because in the eyes of casting directors and producers, you’ve outshone almost all of your competition, and should certainly be brought back for future auditions.

That’s worth a lot to me, though it would be better if it were worth 1270 bucks – the price of an SUV catalytic converter that went on the fritz driving home from a certain wedding the other night.

Hold up. Rereading this entry, I notice I've come off as bitter (and even spoke about myself in the third person) but I’m honestly not. I’m proud to be making the final cut this consistently. My agent has a policy in which they drop actors that don't receive callbacks once in every ten auditions, and I get one almost every time. It's all good.

And how do you know I’m being honest about that? See everything after the “but” in the previous paragraph.