Wednesday, August 25, 2010

See It.

The Other Guys deserves an Oscar nomination.

I suppose my friends have now started entertaining the possibility that I’m being kept alive on a respirator in a secret hospital room underneath my house, with my body-double pretending to be me in public.

I’m very critical of all movies, and I think it's really great. And as long as the Academy has decided to reinstate nominating ten films for Best Picture, in this, a pretty thin year, it deserves a nod.

Will Ferrell, who wrote every sketch in which he appeared on “Saturday Night Live,” co-wrote this film, and it’s as funny as anything he’s ever done. I expected to laugh four times, and wound up laughing four dozen times.

One great scene in particular: Ferrell’s cop character, now on the lam, hides one night in bushes across from his home. To avoid suspicion by both staked-out cops and bad guys, Ferrell’s wife sends her elderly, Latina mother hobbling across the street with her walker to relay to Ferrell how much her daughter misses him. The tender message progresses into the filthiest husband-wife sex talk, and out of the mouth of this kindly, old woman, it's just hilarious and entirely original.

I always thought the day I spoke so glowingly about a screwball comedy would be the day I’d want to commit an unnecessary-roughness penalty on myself. Turns out I was wrong. See it in theaters.