Friday, March 12, 2010

Three More For The Weekend.

Seeing that I watch every movie I possibly can, but can barely scrape together a top-ten list each year, I'm way difficult to please. Take, for instance, take this moment from Avatar:

Jake Sully: Who rode this?
Neytiri: My grandfather's grandfather was Toruk Makto, Rider of Last Shadow.
Me: And he was the best sex I’ve ever had.

Somehow, I corraled ten great movies together in ’09, and remarkably, three more recently. So this weekend, get them on DVD, whip up a batch of Chex Mix and enjoy a triple-feature:

Precious. Thanks to its truly obnoxious title – Precious: Based on the Novel by Sapphire – I shunned this thing like the Amish. But I eventually got the DVD, and was blown away. If you can watch this movie and not appreciate your life that much more, defriend me immediately, ya monster.

Crazy Heart. I’ve never been a fan of country music, or as I like to refer to it: Jew-killing music. But I found myself really liking the rockin’, twangy tunes of this movie. Jeff Bridges sings them himself and plays guitar. Beyond that, the script is just truly great. It's this year’s version of The Wrestler, only with a third-less day-glo tights.

The Damned United. One of the best sports movies I’ve ever seen. Michael Sheen has really carved out an amazing career playing real people like Tony Blair and David Frost, and now he tackles the legendary, but very-flawed, soccer coach Brian Clough. By the way, let's face it – the only dude I’m qualified to portray is magician David Copperfield.