Monday, March 29, 2010

Clothing Required.

I don’t believe in luck, karma, destiny, or fate. I’ve got no use for kismet, predestination, predetermination, planets aligning, cookies crumbling or any inkling of justice. If that stuff existed, my asshole former boss wouldn’t be living in Cabo these days.

A few years back, when I had the unfortunate pleasure of working a day job, that boss treated me every day as if I’d overcooked Ike Turner's steak. I didn’t get a good look, but I’m convinced that the moment he fired me he was fully erect.

The day he shitcanned me, I was wearing a retro-style, black shirt. And from then on, because I don’t believe in luck, or bad luck, I wore that shirt every time I had a big appointment. I wore it when I received writing assignments. I wore it to pre-production meetings. And I wore it recently for an audition for the new David E. Kelley pilot, and was still wearing it 45 minutes after that audition, in the pic above, as I received word from my agent that I got a callback for the pilot.

I suppose some may argue that at this point I’m wearing the shirt for luck, but I prefer to think of it as flaunting it in the face of superstition. All I know is, my optimism wears heavy boots, and is loud.