Monday, December 28, 2009

Day 6: Hello, My Name Almost Was:

Tucked away in my mom’s bedroom is a baby-naming book with a scrap of paper inside. It’s a list of all of the possible names for me, written before I was born.

I firmly believe that a name makes the man – call your kid Waldo, and chances are he won’t be suiting up for the Packers on Sundays. So I hereby review each of the finalists, and the accompanying profession had my mom and dad chosen it:
  • Blaine – male nurse
  • Blair – male shampooer
  • Brent – Ponzi scheme kingpin
  • Brett – weather guy who prefers the term “meteorologist”
  • Cary – towel boy for the WNBA
  • Eric – Geek Squad assistant manager
  • Greg – white 7-Eleven employee
  • Ian – suicide hotline operator whose job is outsourced to India
  • Ives – Civil War reenactor
  • Jeffrey – owner of New Jersey’s best slow-speed dial-up service
  • Jeremy – mobile pet groomer
  • Neal – janitor who huffs glass cleaner while on the clock
  • Olin – chimney sweep
  • Oran – creator of an iPhone app that helps you locate the nearest rub ‘n tug
  • Todd (which they did choose as my middle name) – semi-pro foosball player
  • Victor – utility infielder in the Astros organization
  • Kerry – bed & breakfast owner who’s a little too touchy/feely
  • Wendy Beth – Tiger Woods mistress