Monday, November 16, 2009

Festivus, Part XXXVII.

How much do I love food? Let’s just say I regard lunch as nothing more than a great time to figure out what I want to have for dinner.

And for me, the best food city anywhere is New Orleans. My friends and I ate our way through that town for a full weekend a few years back. In N.O., every meal is the best meal you ever had – the best gumbo, the best jambalaya, the best po’ boy. Pack the Sansabelt slacks.

Seeing as breakfast is one of my top three meals of the day (I eat seven), I was in hog heaven the first morning there, as we sat along the Mississippi River at Café Du Monde and ate our weight in beignets – deep-friend pastries sprinkled with sugar. At only 25¢ apiece, you can’t afford not to contract diabetes.

The second morning, we chowed a gigantic high-end breakfast buffet at the very tony The Court of the Two Sisters. Come for the courtyard setting, stay for gravy on everything.

I’d better wrap this up, because my drool is gonna short my Mac. But before I do, I’d like to thank the New Orleans Film Festival for becoming the 37th fest to accept The Beneficiary – the film I wrote, starred in and produced. Let’s celebrate with a sleeve of Oreos. Or three.