Monday, November 2, 2009

Festivus, Part XXXV.

Here’s what I know about Eugene, beyond it being arguably the best name for a nerd besides Waldo: it’s the home of the University of Oregon, where Animal House was filmed, and it’s where Nike was created in the 70s. Nowadays, Nike shoes are manufactured in Indonesia by young children for 3¢ an hour. Sorry about the lack of bathroom breaks, kids, but those shoes ain’t gonna sew themselves.


You know, if these toddlers were to set up a film festival in Indonesia, I would attend that festival. I mean, if they can create a shoe that makes me feel as if I’m walking on air, imagine their attention to cinematic detail. And their tiny fingers sure could thread a projector. All for the cost of a Bazooka Joe.


Where was I? Right, Eugene. The Eugene International Film Festival, and its peculiarly tiny official selection emblem, is the 35th fest to accept my film. And even though it’s run by white grownups (boring!), I graciously accept.


Thanks, EIFF. You’re the best. Or at least in my top 35.