Thursday, October 15, 2009

Listen Here.

No doubt, the toughest thing about this business is the enormous number of actors in L.A. It’s believed there are 200,000 of us, but I’d bet anything it’s more like two million. Which makes for a godforsaken amount of guys I’m up against. Granted, most of them have more highlights in their hair than they do on their résumés, but I gotta stay on my toes.

So waiting outside a commercial audition last week, with a short bit of copy to memorize but very vague direction, I paced, trying to make some choices about what they were looking for. And then I heard a muffled voice coming from a side door to the room, lifted up a piece of foam core covering some ventilated slats, and listened in. That’s me, above, incriminating myself with my Blackberry.

Hey – I didn’t shower and put on long pants so that I could blindly audition for this and not get it. Though it turns out I actually did shower, put on long pants, listen in and didn't get it. But still.