Friday, August 7, 2009

John Hughes, 1950-2009.

I never want to die. There are too many goals I need to accomplish, people I’d like to meet, places I want to visit. And I’m not going anywhere until the Jets win another Super Bowl.

But let's face it: death is undefeated, so I'm a goner. And I often wonder about my legacy. I’d like to hope it’ll amount to more than just a crummy blog.

John Hughes, who passed away yesterday, is one man that is sure to be remembered.

His films weren’t just entertaining; they defined a generation. Here are a few he wrote and/or directed: Vacation. The Breakfast Club. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Sixteen Candles. Weird Science. Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Home Alone. Mr. Mom.

That’s one hell of a slugging percentage. For over a decade, John was the best at what he did. How many of us can say that?

I left a voicemail for my friend John Kapelos, who had roles in The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles and Weird Science. I’m sorry about your friend, Kap. Actually, I’d say everyone who grew up in the 80s feels pretty bad as well.