Friday, August 21, 2009

And He Taketh Away.

I had an audition for the producers of the CBS show “Criminal Minds” last Friday. The role was a uniform cop, who informs the lead detectives at a very gruesome crime scene, in which two couples are beaten to death with crowbars. Hilarious? Yes. Get the part? No.

But I felt great about my audition, and I fully subscribe to a theory held by a big TV producer I know: in any audition, you’re not there for that role, but for the next one. In other words, you have to know going in that the part will go to someone else – a cousin, friend – chick the director’s banging – so all you can do is be memorable, and the producers will think of you for a future episode.

Yes, this sounds like the mantra of the desperate, but I’m an actor. Desperate is listed on my résumé under “special skills.”

In a thank-you note I sent over to the casting director, I wrote that getting to audition for her was the complete antithesis of a crowbar to the face. It really was.

Inglourious Basterds tonight at the ArcLight. Have a kickass weekend.