Monday, June 8, 2009

Festivus, Part XIX.

New York is a beautiful, amazing place – between May 1st and May 31st. Otherwise, it's dark, wet and miserable, like the landscape of an old Led Zeppelin song.

But I do dig its film fests.

The Independent Features Film Festival is number 19 for The Beneficiary. It takes place in Tribeca, and according to the festival’s acceptance note, “the event will include parties, premieres, awards shows and award-winning films chosen by a global audience.” I owe you one, Sri Lanka.

And now, the obligatory Beneficiary story. Months into filming, my life savings drained, we were shooting the crucial opening scene in the lobby of L.A. Center Studios. During a take, a loud boom echoed through the lobby, and when we looked up, the heat from one of the set lamps had caused a giant crack in one of the large plate-glass windows.
Damage cost: two grand.

One of my favorite TV shows, “Numb3rs,” is shot in the same building, and whenever I see that window I die just a little bit. “Numb3rs,” by the way, airs Friday nights at 10. It’s both an underrated drama and a terribly sad glimpse into my social life. T.G.I.M.