Friday, May 29, 2009

Follow The Loser.

I’m convinced the key to me surviving college was a self-taught perception trick: after finishing an essay exam, I’d remain in my seat before handing it in, waiting for the biggest moron in the class to hand in his. When he finished and walked up to the professor's desk, I’d beat him to the pile of blue books and make sure mine was underneath his. I figured, after reading through this idiot’s claptrap, my work must have read like the Iliad.

I pull the same move these days in casting workshops. I always step right up and perform after weak actors have botched their scenes.

The theory can work against you if you follow a talent, which is exactly what happened when I went to see a couple of comedians perform at a club the other night. One of their warm-ups was John Tole, the guy above. His jokes were smart and hilarious, and he killed. The two headliners followed him and bombed like hell. It was uglier than a Vassar glee club.

Feel free to apply my theory to all sorts of talent-centric situations. And If you’re an actor reading this, and suddenly realize that I’ve followed you in a workshop, my apologies – my apologies that you suck so damn bad. And my utmost thanks. Look for that Christmas card come December.