Monday, April 6, 2009

Festivus, Part XII.

The Beneficiary has gone international. Actually, 81 miles north of the border, to Toronto. (Make that 130 kilometers – which is way more international than an IHOP.)

The ReelHeART International Film Festival makes it a dozen festival selections. Pardon me while I strain my rotator cuff patting myself on the back, then ice it down while I type today’s Beneficiary factoid entirely with my left hand:

The music for my film was composed by one of my best friends: John Hunter. John was a very successful composer in Dallas, creating music for big commercials after partnering up with a friend with whom he attended Berklee College of Music in Boston. They own a great place called Juniper Music & Soundesign.

After conquering advertising, John set his sights on Hollywood, aspiring to compose films. It’s extremely tough to crowbar your way into the biz, so John figured a bold move was in order. He bought a video iPod, downloaded his music reel onto it, and sent it to the top composer agent in L.A.

A couple weeks later, the agent’s assistant called John, told him the agent had viewed the reel and wanted to know where to return the iPod. John told her it was a gift, to which she asked John if he was going to be in L.A. any time soon. He wasn’t, but his plan was in motion, and it was time for bold move #2: lying.

John told her he was meeting with a big composer in Hollywood the next week. He actually wasn’t, but he rolled the dice, flew out here, had a meeting with the agent, and soon began getting work.

Cut to a few years later, and John is out here with his wife and kids, renting a house while he’s kicking butt daily (I referenced the house last July.) His wife, Sonia, is super supportive and cool. May all we aspiring creatives have someone in our corner like her.

John’s composed several films, including the newly-released Big Stan, starring Rob Schneider. Rob and his brother John, a big producer, adore John Hunter. And great works begets more great work – right now John is composing a big action film based on a huge video game. The music is so amped, it’s guaranteed to get me a speeding ticket if I crank it in my car. Be on the lookout, pigs.

The iPod has now been elevated to a Bose Wave Radio as John’s means of seduction. I look forward to the day he drops off an Aston Martin in Spielberg’s driveway with his reel downloaded onto the dashboard flat screen. Keep it, Steve – let’s talk Schindler 2.