Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Long-Distance Emote.

I come from a long line of gadget fanatics. My dad loved them. His dad loved them. Though I imagine a gadget to my grandfather meant a bloodletting-leech back in the old shtetl.

Flash forward to modern, Nazi-free Los Angeles, and yesterday, I downloaded Skype. For those of you unfamiliar with Skype (‘sup, mom), it’s a software that allows up to 25 users to link together for high-quality video-conferencing and phone calls.

Unfortunately, I found out at the last minute that Skype isn’t video friendly yet on Macs. Get on it, folks.

The reason I needed it was actually rather cool: I had an audition with a director in another city. That's me, in the necktie, dressing up in character. After some trial and error, we settled on plan B: AIM webcam and speakerphone. I was able to read with him, and take his direction. The picture was clear and our voices synched up. Not bad.

The 2000-mile audition. Damn impressive, and it may really change the business. Hooray for science.