Thursday, November 6, 2008

Careful What You Wish For.

Must I be the savior of the greatest profession on earth? Yes, yes I must.

Last week, Joaquin Phoenix decided to retire from the movie business to pursue a music career. After learning to play guitar for his role as Johnny Cash, the man fell out of love with acting and in love with music, and now believes that’s his future.

Does he realize the Civil War battlefield-like carnage of actors who’ve ventured into music? It pains me to see someone just throw away his gift on some pipe dream. Okay, crap – I’ve become my dad.

Regardless, super=talented actor John Malkovich would agree. Here’s a recent quote from him in Esquire: “A lot of our wonderful actors, from Brando to George C. Scott, found [acting] a shameful occupation and really lost interest in it. But it always interests me, and watching others do it always interests me, and I don't find it shameful. I mean, as compared to what?”

Joaquin, put the guitar down slowly, and back away.