Friday, October 31, 2008

The Grinch Who Loathed Halloween.

Today conjures up some very warm memories of an otherwise angry childhood. But I’d never experienced anything on such a blown-up level Halloween-wise until I moved to L.A.

Above is a pic of one of the hundreds of temporary Halloween stores that pop up in this area every September, in anticipation of the mad, seasonal rush. Because this is an entertainment town, it truly is the biggest holiday of the year in L.A., and, consequently, the worst traffic day of the year, as people hustle to get home from work to take the kids out, or slip into their own costumes.

Yes, adults dressing up is all the rage. And speaking of rage, I’ve had an ass-full of people asking him what costume I'll be wearing tonight. I play dress-up for a living, period, and find Halloween to be one of the five holidays that give carte blanche to grownups to behave like A-holes.

I’ll leave the costumes to the kids. And I’ll leave the lights off in my apartment tonight, because if trick-or-treaters show up on my doorstep, the closest thing I have to candy is a scoop of protein powder (which, when you think about it, is still better than being the “raisin guy”).

Have fun tonight. Just not outside my bedroom window at 3 a.m.