Monday, August 25, 2008

You Stay Classy, Asafa.

After watching the cockiest men on the planet, the Jamaican 4x100m relay team, set sportsmanship back about 800 years, I thought about something I once heard a casting director say: an actor who is talented but not confident comes off as very nervous. An actor who is confident but has little talent just comes off as cocky.

In other words, find that medium that lies somewhere between Usain and Urkel.

When I audition, I act as if I have to be somewhere else in 20 minutes. My aura is “Yes, I can do what you need, but I’m in high demand right now.” I’d much rather be that guy than the raised-eyebrow, “Am I doing it right? Please don’t make me apply at UPS” guy.

Acting teachers tell us to keep in mind that we are the ones in charge in auditions. And we should behave accordingly– take the time we need, make strong decisions, start again if we don’t feel right. This is our time.

And if we get the role? For God sakes, try to keep our damn shirts on.