Saturday, July 19, 2008

Day 1: Sir Richard Branson is Zeus.

I flew to New York on Virgin America. Is it my new favorite airline? Are Oprah's diamond earrings real?

If I had to choose my favorite VA feature (besides the funky, purple interior lighting), it would have to be the seatback entertainment center. Is it well equipped? Like a Chippendales show.

Not only is it loaded with live DISH TV, pay-per-view movies and TV shows (including my favorite, “30 Rock”), it has Google Maps. It has 12 free video games. It has instant messaging for friends sitting apart on the plane. Soon it’ll have Internet service. Good Lord, the thing does everything but diaper the dog and write your kid’s term papers.

The cost of my flight on this airborne slice of Heaven was a mere 300 bucks– half of what the jive airlines were asking.

Side note to parents: whatever you deny your kids is guaranteed to become their adult obsession. If I’m away from some form of television for more than five minutes, I get the DTs.