Monday, June 2, 2008

Thank God It’s Monday.

Do I like the band Journey? I’ve got two ears and a heart, don’t I?

In their song “Be Good to Yourself”, they mention “be good to yourself, when nobody else will. Oh be good to yourself.” I’m not sure what the song is about, but the tune sure is catchy. And it put me in the mood to accept an offer by my friend Daniel, an actor whose day job is tour guide for Universal Studios Theme Park. Daniel gave me a personal tour of the park and studio, and it was a spectacular day.

There’s so much great, old history on that lot, and new history being made daily. We visited the set of “Desperate Housewives”. We ate lunch overlooking the Jurassic Park water ride. We walked around the debris still strewn about from the crashed 747 in War of the Worlds. All on a Tuesday afternoon while the rest of the world was stuck in their cubicles.

Yesterday, a fire ravaged the studio, burning to the ground a vault that held a great deal of old video, and the entire King Kong attraction from the famous Universal tour. And, worst of all for me, the Chicago street set from one of my all-time favorite movies, The Sting.

The tough week in Hollywood came to a fitting, lousy close. Pre-fire, Universal Studios was a pretty damn charming place. And charm is what the world could use right now. Let’s think some positive thoughts today.