Friday, June 20, 2008

Big Brother. Huge Heart.

After I wrote about my friend Chas passing, his brother Wayne left a comment that was very special to me. Then Wayne, a musician, sent this to me through my brother:

Andrew,
I wrote this song about Chas and hope to record it as a tribute to him. Please share this with your brother Matt. He inspired me with his blog about Chas "to go after my dreams".
All the world’s a circle, my friend.

Peace.
-Wayne

Wow. Here are the lyrics:

"COURAGE STREET"

Time keeps slippin’ babe, another 6 a.m.
A lot to do as the mornin’ glow creeps in
I hit the boards runnin’, gotta think, gotta plan,
On this Manhattan train, to make a final stand

For it's chemo at 8, to the office by 9
Keep on smilin’ my friends, can't get left behind
On these busy streets and high-rise hallways,
Everybody’s got a story to tell, some of heaven,
Some goin’ through hell

In this road brother, there's no compass, no retreat
Keep livin’ each day on Courage Street

CHORUS
On Courage Street, where the faithful pray
On Courage Street, broken hearted stray
On Courage Street, you get cut to the bone
On Courage Street, you gotta stand alone

Hearts on fire, full of love and prayers
Miracles to keep me here.
Cancer’s pullin’ me to the other side,
As I search for strength to stay alive

My boys, my sons, Lord I need more time
Pop Warner and dating and lessons that bind
No bitterness, no regrets, but don't take me away
Chris and Connor need me to stay.

CHORUS
Livin’ on Courage Street, the silent masses cry
Down on Courage Street, our brothers and sisters die
On Courage Street, you gotta make a stand
On Courage Street, fingers laced in hands

CHORUS
For on Courage Street, the faithful pray
On Courage Street, broken hearted stray
On Courage Street, you get cut to the bone
On Courage Street, I wasn't alone.

For this spirit’s alive my brother
No regrets, no defeat
Heaven’s full of souls
Who walked down Courage Street