Monday, April 21, 2008

My Agoraphobia Is Your Good Fortune.

The grand I spent on new brakes on Friday pretty much ensures I’ll remain a shut-in throughout the next millennium. Congratulations, Netflix. And as a complete acting geek I’ll try to glean as much as I can from DVD audio commentary. Here are my favorites so far:

Ocean’s 11– Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Andy Garcia. At one point it gets stone silent for over a minute, and Pitt, Damon and Garcia realize they aren't speaking because they love watching the film so much.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou– Wes Anderson, Noah Baumbach. Anderson and Baumbach recorded the commentary at Greenwich Village restaurant Bar Pitti, where they wrote the film, so there's some great dish-clanking in the background.

A Beautiful Mind– Ron Howard. Ron justifies his standing as the nicest guy in Hollywood when he mentions his hope that, after seeing this film, whenever you see a person walking around and talking to himself, you won't just dismiss him as crazy.

Road to Perdition– Sam Mendes. Two cool facts he pointed out during this one: the diner that Tom Hanks eats in along the highway was purchased by the movie’s propmaster on eBay, and Jude Law chose to pluck out much of his hair to make his character creepier.

Bull Durham– Ron Shelton. Shelton talks about dictating the entire opening voiceover by Annie (“I believe in the church of baseball”) verbatim into a micro recorder on a long car trip.

Election– Alexander Payne. My favorite of all time, including my favorite commentary line of all time, as the hapless Matthew Broderick backs his sedan out of his driveway: “The Ford Fiesta... the car of the impotent man.”