Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Get Your Butt To LA, Part 59: Control-Less Freak.

Never stop following your dreams. Unless your dreams involve me attending your open mic.

And never let the factors out of your control bring you down. I had an audition the other day for “Hart of Dixie,” the TV show starring Rachel Bilson. The role was a sarcastic surgeon who busts Rachel’s balls. Right in my wheelhouse.

The first thank-you note I mentioned in yesterday’s blog entry referred to this audition. I walked into the room and mentioned to the casting director that I was, in fact, wearing the same shirt and tie as I was in my headshot. To which she replied, “You know, I wouldn’t have even noticed, but now I can’t stop thinking about it...” Love her.

And then I auditioned, and I really knocked it out of the park – hit all the funny moments, timing was right on, made them laugh, and I left. If I wasn’t going to book this role, it wasn’t for lack of effort.

The next day, a casting call went out again for the same role, only this time it called for someone who looked just like the actor Matt Lowe (pic of him featured above.) The writers had decided they wanted a scruffy, heavy-set guy to play this southern surgeon, and there wasn’t anything I could do about it. (Beyond a month-long boycott of shaving, hair cutting and salads.)

This is a topic I’ve mentioned before – your look impeding your ability to work, and why you shouldn’t sweat it – but it bears repeating. All I can do is my best work, then leave and forget about it. Light fuse, run away.

But if you find yourself kicking ass but still feeling down about it, things could be worse. Remember there are people out there who bought tickets to the Kidz Bop world tour.