Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Nice Job By My Nephew.

I’d like to remake Air Bud, but from the perspective of a kid who didn’t make the team having to explain to his overbearing father that he lost out to a dog. 

That was part of my pep talk to my nephew, who last week had a tryout for a club baseball team here in LA. (That’s Ricky and me above, helping him break in his new glove.) 

Club teams take it to another level, especially out here, where kids play baseball year round and have real skills. Good news: he made the team.

But with every sports high comes a terrific low. On Sunday, my nephew had my mom buy him a Derwin James Los Angeles Chargers football jersey for his birthday. Then yesterday, Derwin tore his meniscus and will be out for the year. It’s good for kids to learn about crushing defeat at an early age.