Friday, December 27, 2019

We Interrupt This Holiday.

My dad’s favorite part of vacation was to make us all feel bad for sleeping in.

It didn’t stick. I may wake up at 5:15 a.m. all year long, but when I’m in New York for Christmas, I make it all back up in 12-hour shifts.

Or so I thought, this week. I suddenly had an unexpected audition for a film on Christmas Eve. 11 pages of dialogue. Sleep be damned.

I put together a makeshift audition room in my mom’s office, removing paintings, moving a desk and cabinets, and used an A-frame ladder as a tripod. I went with natural light, and I must say it looked damn good, considering.

Then I had my friend Chuck, a New York actor who has had roles on “The Sopranos” and “Ray Donovan” run my iPhone camera and read lines opposite me. Chuck, I owe you forever.

I was really happy with my performance, sent it off, and then took a well-earned nap. Recommence showbiz vacation.