Monday, September 30, 2019

The Deuce Is A Ten.

It’s hard to sustain creativity. Michelangelo’s first David was art; the second was a lawn ornament. 

But “The Deuce” is back on HBO, and as good as ever, even as the writers continue to do things the hard way. Season one was set in 1971, season two jumped ahead to 1977, and the new third and final season takes place in 1985.

As a member of the SAG TV Awards nominating committee, I will give serious consideration to James Franco, who plays two different roles as good/evil twins Vincent and Frankie.

I can only vote for actors/casts, but if I could, I’d nominate the shit out of the people doing effects. In the scene above, from last week’s episode, the twins not only have a flawless conversation with each other, but Frankie pinches his brother’s cheek and kisses him on the lips. It’s pure magic.

If you haven’t seen the show, give it a shot. It really captures the filthiness of the New York of my youth. With some modern-day wizardry.