Monday, September 23, 2019

My New Favorite Movie Of The Year.

The hardest part of being an astronaut would probably be the smell of poop in my spacesuit if something went horribly wrong.

Not a problem for Brad Pitt’s character in Ad Astra. He’s an astronaut so cool under pressure that his resting heart rate is 47, and never accelerates in the face of danger.

And there’s danger alright, but that’s all I’ll say about this really great film so as not to spoil it. I loved it. It’s moving and dramatic and beautifully shot and evocative of Apocalypse Now.

It was cool to see it opening weekend at ArcLight, the epicenter of all theaters, because the audience was filled with people who had worked on the film, cheering during the closing credits. And I was with my friends Bru and Aina, who are friends with Brad Pitt’s stand-in Rob O’Malley, who has interesting stories whenever he works with Brad.

Here they are. Entirely cool. See this film.