Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Matt’s Book Club.

Never judge a book by its cover. Besides, you’re on Instagram all day and don’t even read books. Despite the slick cover,

Chris Kattan’s new book never mentions monkeys. (Except for his character Mr. Peepers, which was very monkey-like.) I would’ve bought this book for myself, because I like Chris and all things SNL-related, but my brother beat me to it, giving it to me for my birthday.

He gifted it to me a few days before the book made headlines for a chapter about Lorne Michaels asking Chris to sleep with director Amy Heckerling to keep her happy as they shot A Night at the Roxbury.

The headlines were out of context. In the book, Chris recounted being told by Lorne that Amy had a crush and him, and Chris was pleasantly surprised. They started secretly dating. The real drama occurred after they finished shooting. Because Chris kept the relationship hidden from his co-star/best friend Will Ferrell, Will lost trust in Chris, and refused to return his calls. Back at SNL, Will finally pulled Chris aside and said that while there wouldn’t be a problem with them working together, their friendship was over.

This is a very quick read – which is rare for me and my only-on-the-elliptical reading habit. Chris has led an interesting life. His dad was a Groundling and an actor as well, who appeared in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Chris broke his neck doing a prat-fall during an SNL sketch, and then, afraid he’d lose his job, he risked paralysis by refusing to tell anyone or see a doctor about it. Eventually he did, and needed five separate surgeries. He became hooked on pain pills and cocaine.

Very good book. I recommend it.