Friday, August 30, 2019

I Tour The TWA Hotel.

The lady next to me on the plane yesterday smelled like she ate a bowl of grandmas for breakfast.

I prefer the plane itself have that throwback feel. When I walked out of the JetBlue terminal at LAX, I came upon a great sight: the long-shuttered TWA terminal was now the newly- reopened TWA Hotel. Here’s an extensive photo gallery:

The time-warp begins with a simple choice…

…which leads to a tunnel that has the feel of the teleportation device in Stargate.

Look familiar? Just the other day I re-watched Catch Me If You Can. Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio in the tunnel.

The desk of Jack Frye, TWA president from 1934-1947, complete with a glass of scotch. Simpler times.

The lobby features 60s TWA fleet automobiles and a giant, old-school, constantly-clacking split-flap departure board.

You can sip cocktails in the Lockheed jet parked outside the hotel.

The cockpit of the jet is almost too accurate, including original, pumped-in traffic-controller recordings over a loudspeaker. I love when no detail is spared. I so want to stay here.