Monday, March 26, 2018

The First Great Movie Of 2018.

I wish I had the unbridled enthusiasm of a freshly-groomed Ricky heading straight for a patch of dirt.

I at least have a love for a great new movie called Isle of Dogs.

I make it a habit to avoid all animated films, but this is unlike anything ever made. (And technically, it’s not animation – it’s stop-motion.) It’s as detailed and eccentric as every Wes Anderson film. (Even the title. “Isle of Dogs” can be quickly read as “I Love Dogs”.) The set pieces are always my favorite. Wait until you see the intricate preparation of sushi from the POV of the chef.

I give away no more. This movie is so smart and funny, I was astounded. It shouldn’t be nominated for an Oscar for best animated film – it should be nominated for best film, period. See it so we can discuss.