Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Best Q&A Of The Year.

I dunked on my brother one summer, like, 20 years ago, on the adjustable hoop in the driveway, and I still think about it roughly twice a week.

It’s amazing what stays with you. Like the way I got to see my favorite movie of the year.

For the past couple weeks, anticipating the premiere of Boyhood, I couldn’t shut up about it, and so I called my friend John Kapelos last week and asked him to see it with me. He said, “Actually, I have an extra ticket to a screening for some movie this weekend. Let’s see..” as he read from an email, “it’s followed by a Q&A with Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke, Patricia Arquette and Ellar Coltrane.”

“That’s Boyhood!”

And so we went. It was a remarkable way to see the film. Here are some of the things discussed:

• To help her bond with the kids who were going to play her son and daughter, Patricia babysat them for a weekend. Richard then asked her to name their characters.

• After the first four years of shooting, Richard’s daughter wanted to drop out, and asked him to kill off her character. But Richard thought that was too momentous a plot shift, and made her finish the next eight years.

• Richard never cheated by shooting footage years later and pretending it was original. Everything was shot chronologically.

• After watching the beginning of the film, Ethan thought he looked handsome, and that this would lead to a few other offers for roles. Then, he got to the end, when he’d aged 12 years, and gave that right up.

• Ethan also had a profound thought about the technique of the film: “Stories in novels progress through years all the time, so this type of storytelling is not unique in that regard. But it’s completely original in a film.” He was genuinely thrilled to be a part of it. He also kept deflecting attention on him, constantly praising Patricia. He’s a good guy.