Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Shout-Out From the Sick Bay.

Corporations have feelings just like you and I do. Or at least feeling departments.

And I have much gratitude for drugstore conglomerate CVS. You see, what I thought was a cold had progressed into far worse when I started waking up during the night feeling like someone had hit me in the face with a fungo bat.

My regular doctor’s first open appointment was Monday morning, so I went with an exceptional plan B: inside my (and many other) CVS is something called MinuteClinic. It’s open seven days a week for all your mid-major medical needs, you don’t need an appointment and they accept your insurance. Just get there before 6:15 p.m. and you’re in.

I actually arrived at 6:16, but they were gracious enough to see me. The “doctor” (her title should be read with air quotes the size of Vermont) diagnosed my bronchitis (but logged it in a sinus infection so my Z-Pak would be covered), tapped my prescription into her computer and sent it to the CVS pharmacy five feet from the examination room.

And there you have it. Diagnosis, drugs and insurance fraud in less than an hour. Thanks MinuteClinic!