Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Cakes And Pies I Have Recently Witnessed And/Or Chowed.

TYPE: Neopolitan.
OCCASION: My friend Bru’s birthday at Talesai in Studio City.
NOTES: Outstanding. Neopolitan ice cream, now in cake form. Bru’s wife brought it to this Thai restaurant for his birthday dinner, and as we got up to go to a movie, we gave the leftover cake to the owners. They were grateful, but I have a strong suspicion they wound up selling a few slices of it.

TYPE: $100 apple pie.
OCCASION: Post art-show dessert at Al Gelatto in Beverly Hills.
NOTES: Didn’t eat this – just gazed at its glory like it was the Grand effin’ Canyon. Many migrant worker hands picked many bushels of apples to create this monstrosity. Much respect.

TYPE: Top-shelf goodness from Becker's Bakery, Manhattan Beach.
OCCASION: My friend Al’s birthday.
NOTES: The pic on the cake is Al, taken about 30 lbs. ago, after he’d just finished his wrestling career at Syracuse. He told me that underneath all his present blubber, that body still exists.

TYPE: Sheet cake.
OCCASION: My niece’s birthday.
NOTES: Due to my complete aversion to kids movies, I had no idea who Jessie was. I did, however, friend the chick hired to play Jessie at the party on Facebook.