Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Second Class.

I knew from day one of my second-level improv class that it was partially-designed to weed out the casual students. And five weeks in, some have bailed. Yes, it’s crazy difficult, but if it had beaten me, I would have been crushed, like my genitals after the forklift accident. I pee in a bag now.

What makes improv such a challenge is that it contradicts all of my training. For example, actors are never supposed to mime during auditions; meanwhile, improv is mime only. (If a scene calls for you to remove your shoes, you only pretend to do it – a huge no-no in an acting auction.) Screenwriters are never supposed to use expository language; improv absolutely requires you to use it. (i.e., “I’m Superman, why should I have to pay you, a hooker, when I’m saving the world…”) Etc., etc., etc.

My goal is to become a five-tool player – the Robinson Cano of showbiz – adept at comedy, drama, auditioning, writing and improv. Until then, as I near my next graduation show, and the classes become more intricate, I’ll deal with the stress. Perhaps I'll handle it Kevin Bacon/Footloose style: lots of aggressive tumbling at an abandoned grain mill. Yeah.