Thursday, April 9, 2009

Anatomy Of An Audition: Part Two.

When we left off, I was in the lobby, waiting to audition for Cedric’s pilot, and you were reading about it, in essence stealing from your company during work hours. Way to stick it to The Man.

Often, there isn’t anything too showbizzy about audition locations. This was no exception. Even though it was a Disney-owned building, it was a very typical, gray and white office setting, save for worker nameplates shaped like mouse ears.

My turn arrived, and I entered the casting director’s office, where she sat on a couch with her associate. This was what’s called a “pre-read” – a simple, quick, first-round audition before the casting director sends her choice of actors on to round two for directors or producers.

I handed over my headshot, sat down and the audition began. The casting associate fed me the setup line, and I delivered back mine. It got a huge laugh from both women. They gave me a slight redirect on the scene and I delivered it again, this time receiving an even bigger laugh. I assume they liked my takes, but their response was so huge that it may been more courteous than genuine.

Forive me, I’m an actor. I’m broken. I question all who praise.

Actually, I felt good about my work. I didn’t get the role, but hey – I did my homework, made a choice about the scene and delivered. People have been elected governor of Minnesota for less.

Tomorrow, Part 3: What I Learned.